Transitional Fossil

" The question isn't "who is going to let me"; it's "who is going to stop me".
Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Friday, October 28, 2005

Automatic For the People


pilfered img.

The other night I went to a candlelight vigil for the 2000 soldiers that had died in Iraq. The names were read aloud. I handed out flyers and thanked people for coming. Ninety names were printed out and a single candle was placed on them. I read one name. A man from Florida.

I walked the rows of names of these people. Men. Women. Soldiers. People who died for me without asking. People who died for me when they shouldn't have. And I felt responsible. I felt anger and I wept.

And I wanted to do something. But there was nothing to be done. What can you do??

You can vote differently. You can tell every single person that this is wrong. You can introduce legislation to say that when the president goes to war he can only do it with the permission of the people. But will these do??

I've given this link before, it's the breakdown of causualties for the Iraq Coalition Casualities.

We travel through this desert of life in bands of by ourselves. The trail we leave behind will be erased by erosion. But it is the depth of our marks which may last for others to see. Either hear on Earth or from the sky.

To the government:
...As the polls close like a casket
On truth devoured
Silent play in the shadow of power
A spectacle monopolized
The cameras eyes on choice disguised
Was it cast for the mass who burn and toil?
Or for the vultures who thirst for blood and oil?
Yes a spectacle monopolized
They hold the reins, stole your eyes
All the fistagons the bullets and bombs
Who stuff the banks
Who staff the party ranks...
by Rage Against the Machine.

There are two movies which are coming out which I suggest you see.
The War Within and V for Vendetta.




"PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENT. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home