Transitional Fossil

" The question isn't "who is going to let me"; it's "who is going to stop me".
Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Friday, November 18, 2005

Four Ghosts In the White House

"One night, George W. Bush is tossing restlessly in his White House bed. He awakens to see George Washington standing by him. Bush asks him, 'George, what's the best thing I can do to help the country?' 'Set an honest and honorable example, just as I did,' Washington advises, and then fades away.

The next night, Bush is astir again, and sees the ghost of Thomas Jefferson moving through the darkened bedroom. Bush calls out, 'Tom, please! What is the best thing I can do to help the country?' 'Respect the Constitution, as I did,' Jefferson advises, and dims from sight.


The third night sleep is still not in the cards for Bush. He awakens to see the ghost of FDR hovering over his bed. Bush whispers, 'Franklin, What is the best thing I can do to help the country?' 'Help the less fortunate, just as I did,' FDR replies and fades into the mist.

Bush isn't sleeping well the fourth night when he sees another figure moving in the shadows. It is the ghost of Abraham Lincoln. Bush leads, 'Abe, what is the best thing I can do right now to help the country?' Lincoln replies, 'See a play.'"

The preceding anecdote was pilfered from Rhodian Attic for your reading enjoyment.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:44 PM, November 21, 2005 , Blogger -G.D. said...

    You're right...it's better when you read it. Or maybe you can't tell a joke. :-)

     
  • At 10:10 PM, November 21, 2005 , Blogger Footprint said...

    ISIS: No problem. Just be sure to use the information for informational purposes only.

    G.D.: I can tell a good joke. In paticular two places: Underwater and as I sleep.

     
  • At 11:53 AM, November 22, 2005 , Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

    Have a great Thanksgiving.

    Kat

     
  • At 8:36 AM, November 23, 2005 , Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

    Footprint,

    I clicked through the links you gave me (except moveon, because I'm already a member), and the first two didn't seem right for me, although they would be great for someone else. The article from AlterNet was awesome, though. I didn't realize Diebold and ES&S counted 80% of the votes. Thanks for the info. After I post this comment, I'm going back to see what else they have on their site.

    Kat

     
  • At 9:56 AM, November 25, 2005 , Blogger Kathleen Callon said...

    I made a post for you. Thanks for telling me about ALterNet. I became a member.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, November 25, 2005 , Blogger Footprint said...

    KATHLEEN: Thanks for the post. Rule of thumb, any materials presented are presented for interpretation. Land of the free, home of the politcally insane.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home